Tuesday, July 28, 2009

School Uniforms

With school starting just around the corner, now is probably the best time to start thinking about school shopping. For those who attend Holy Spirit, this includes uniform shopping. For those of you who have some knowledge on this topic...would you please provide some insight.... Where to go, how much to get of what (what the boys or girls really need), when the best sales are... Really any helpful hints would be great.

Here's some advice received so far......

Boys...I bought several pair of boy's shorts from the used uniform sale at school(the date this year is on Saturday, August 22 from 7:30am-1:30pm. Sears'(Lands End) is also a great place for pants/shorts-- as they have a program that replaces pants if the pants wear out before the kids grow out of them. Children's Place has pants-- but they are not reinforced at the knee (I reinforce them myself when I find them on clearance). Wal-Mart and Target both carry the polos-- but I would not advise buying their white polos-- they don't wash well! Dennis is extremely expensive -- in my opinion-- but I have never had a problem w/ wear and tear (I bought a couple of polos w/ the Holy Spirit logo and both shorts/pants from them last year.) But definitely check out the used sale first-- and then buy what you couldn't get! - PW

Girls....
I bought my girl 2 jumpers and a few blouses, and the HS hoodie from Dennis. Two jumpers was plenty throughout the year. The best thing I like about the jumper, is they still fit a year later! And they can probably be adjusted even more for the following year, so the money I spent on the jumpers was well worth it. As far as the shirts Kohls has great quality polo shirts in red and white, and I ended up getting 2 red, 2 white, in both long and short sleeve, and that was enough for the year. But be sure to sign up on the Kohls website, they will email you a coupon that you can use towards those shirts. - KG

6 comments:

AmyNaab said...

I was wondering if I need to buy the long sleeve polos from Sears, JCPenney, etc now or will they still have them in a few months? Do most stores carry uniforms in-store year round?

Karen said...

I had a really hard time finding the long sleeve polo's once the weather got cool, so if you do find any, I would advise to get them when you can. I was at Kohls yesterday for the early bird deals, polo's were $8, but the long sleeve ones they did not have in Brenna's size.

Karen said...

ALSO, NOTE TO ALL THAT THE USED UNIFORM SALE IS AT HOLY SPIRIT ON SATURDAY AUG 22. THE FLYER THAT CAME WITH BRENNA'S PACKET SAID "NOTHING OVER $5"

EmEaster said...

My sister swears by the lands end polos both long and short sleeve. She says that they last all year long and wash and wear well. They are more expensive, but they dont need to be replaced.

Bonnie said...

I just sent an email to Mary C to send out to the group. I have three pairs of black pants, two grey shorts and one pair of black shorts, as well as three red polos available for free. They came from Jimmy, but boys or girls could wear them.

A note: girls, particularly in the primary grades almost never wear pants. The jumper with leggings is what almost every girl wears. I have never bought long sleeve polos (Stacia is going into 3rd grade) because they wear their sweatshirts once it gets cool and my kids prefer short sleeves under sweatshirts. Also, if it's really cold, they wear turtlenecks. Two jumpers are plenty. Stacia is going on year four in the same jumpers. -- Quite a deal for $40 each. Too bad there's not an equivalent for boys! I've bought pants for Jimmy three times already and he is just going into 1st grade!

Since they are changing the sweatshirt this year, you will probably have to buy one at Dennis, but last year they had some acceptable red ones for free. It's definitely worth going to the Used Uniform sale, but with school starting that same week and me going back to work full-time, I can't afford to not have at least some of their uniform needs taken care of before the Used Uniform sale.

Bonnie

Mary said...

The info below on uniforms was forwarded to me....

Taken from the handbook from last year...

· Boys Gray or Black Uniform Slacks (cord or twill only).

· Gray or Black Uniform Shorts.

· Black Belt must be worn with slacks and shorts for students in
grades 4 through 8.

· Red or white collared shirts of knit or broadcloth (long or short
sleeves).

· Red, White or Gray Holy Spirit School Logo Polo Shirt.

· Red or White Turtleneck Shirt. (Please make sure the red is a
true red that matches our uniform color.)

· Uniform Pullover Sweater.

· Black, gray or white Socks.

· White or red Holy Spirit logo sweatshirt.

· ¼” zip red pullover sweatshirt with Holy Spirit logo.

· ¼” zip black pullover fleece with Holy Spirit logo.